Sunny · 64°

Building Permits

A Building Permit starts the building process. All new construction, remodeling or repairs require a Building Permit. If you are questioning if your project requires a permit, call the Zoning Office at 563-886-2248 or email to verify permitting is required.

Applications are available from the Zoning Department. These forms contain information necessary to properly process your request. Along with the application, you will need to submit a detailed site plan which will be reviewed by zoning staff to insure the proposed structure complies with appropriate zoning district setback requirements. At this time Cedar County has not adopted building code regulations. It is recommended that structural, electrical and plumbing components comply with the Uniform Building Code or the State of Iowa Building Code. 

An E911 address must be issued by the Cedar County Emergency Management Office prior to the issuance of a building permit. 

The County Engineer must approve all new driveways and driveways with a change in use. Example: existing farm entrances need to be approved for a change in use to residential. Please call the County Engineer at 563-886-6102.

If your new construction will be using a private sewage disposal system or water supply, you will need to obtain sewer and well permits. These are obtained by contacting the Cedar County Environmental Health Office at 563-886-2248.

Contacting Cedar County before you start building to find out the requirements will help the building process go more smoothly with less chance of delays.

All new homes are required to be wired by a certified electrician and inspected by the State of Iowa. Other electrical work may be done by homeowners but may require an inspection. The State website with the requirements is

Forms & Documents