Overcast · 46°

County Assistance

The Veterans Emergency Assistance provides assistance to honorably discharged Cedar County Wartime Veterans that are unable to meet their basic needs because of an emergency situation.

Basic Needs Include:

  • Shelter
  • Food
  • Utilities
  • Burial
  • Special Needs
  • Medical Needs

To apply for assistance, complete the following forms and return them to our office. Please note: an appointment is required to process paperwork.

Application for Assistance

Landlord Rental Assistance Agreement

Eligibility for Emergency Assistance Requires:

  • Be a Wartime Veteran with an Honorable Discharge (DD-214) between the following dates of Service:
    • WWI
      • 4/6/1917 – 11/11/1918
    • WWII
      • 12/07/1941 – 12/31/1946
    • Korea
      • 6/25/1950 – 1/31/1955
    • Vietnam
      • 2/28/1961 – 5/7/1975
    • Persian Gulf
      • 8/2/1990 – No End Date Set
    • Former members of the Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who served at least 20 years after 1/28/1973
    • Former member of the Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who completed or was activated for active duty for a period of 90 days of federal service other then training
    • Former member of the Merchant Marines serving during WWII
    • Former members of the Women’s Air Force service pilots, and other persons who have been conferred as Veterans based on their civilian duties during WWII
  • Be a widow or minor child of a wartime veteran honorably discharged between the prior list of dates
  • Be a resident of Cedar County
  • Meet certain income guidelines
  • Repayment Agreement will be required
  • Apply for any other benefits available within the following:
    • FIP at DHS (if minor child in the home)
      • 877-272-0614
    • Food Stamps
      • 877-272-0614
    • Iowa Job Service (if unemployed)
      • 800-562-4692
    • Apply for SSI/SSD (if disabled)
      • 800-772-1213
    • State Emergency Assistance (if a minor child lives in the home)
      • 877-272-0614