Weapon Permit Applications
Permit to Acquire a Handgun
This is also referred to as a "Permit to Purchase" a pistol or revolver.
Permit to Carry Weapons
This is the new application for permits issued under the new law after January 1, 2011. A carry permit can also be used as a permit to purchase.
Weapons Code Section
Weapons Chapter (724) of the State of Iowa Code covers sections that are relevant to the law changes that took effect on January 1, 2011.
Weapons Permit Renewal
- Bring your current permit in within 30 days before expiring or within 30 days after expiring and the fee is $25.00.
- Outside the 30 days bring in your card and the fee is $50.00.
- No documentation is required for individuals who obtained a weapon permit after January 1, 2011.
- Cedar County accepts cash or check.
To apply for a permit to carry a weapon (professional or nonprofessional), applicants must show a valid ID, on which the address must be current. A professional permit also requires an employer's authorization on the application.
You must be in the office by 3:45 p.m. to apply.
Iowa Code Requirements
Applicants must show proof that they have met the requirements set forth in Iowa Code Chapter 724.
- Applicants must show proper identification
- Applicants must apply for a permit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides
- Applicant must have completed the required training
- Applicant will pay the required fee at the time of application
- $50 for new permits to carry
- $10 for permits to purchase
- Both permits are issued for 5 years
If you have questions about the permit process, please contact us at 563-886-2121.