Board of Review
In a reassessment year a property owner may protest an assessment based on your property's actual value on the assessment date of January 1st for one or more of the following reasons:
- The assessment is not comparable to others with similar properties.
- The property is assessed more than the value authorized by law.
- The property is exempt from taxation.
- There is an error in the assessment.
- The assessment is fraudulent.
Property owners may appeal their initial assessments to the Cedar County Board of Review by filing a written protest between April 2nd and April 30th of each year. If April 30th falls on a weekend, the deadline is extended to the following business day. The board meets annually in May to consider the protests. If you're protesting assessments for more than one parcel of property, you will need to complete a separate form for each parcel. You must file (in person), email, or postmark (in the mail) your petition from April 2nd to April 30th for it to be valid. If April 30th falls on a weekend, you can file the following Monday. Mail or deliver the form to:
Cedar County Assessor
400 Cedar Street
Tipton, IA 52772-1748
Board of Review Petition Process
- Rules of Procedure for Cedar County Board of Review
- Petition to Local Board of Review (Regular Session)
- Petition to Local Board of Review (Equalization Session)