The Cedar County Conservation Board is accepting applications for a temporary full-time seasonal naturalist. Seasonal employees will work approximately 14 weeks at 40 hours/week from May through August. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required throughout the term of the seasonal employment.
Hourly pay is $11.00. No other benefits are offered.
Applicants need to be motivated with a strong work ethic and a positive attitude. Applicants should be responsible individuals who are able to follow detailed directions from full-time staff members as well as sometimes work alone with minimal direct supervision.
Duties to include:
- Assist with planning, promoting, and presenting conservation, recreation and environmental education programs for the general public, schools, and other groups
- Assist with day camps and other programs
- Assist in designing interpretive and promotional displays and exhibits
- Create content for our Facebook page
- Assist with office cleaning and occasional park maintenance as needed
- Assist with cleaning props and other items used for programs
- Assist with animal care (feeding and cleaning cages)
- Assist with prairie reconstructions and tree planting
- Assist with habitat management, prairie shrub removal and trail work
- Other various duties as assigned
- High school graduate with an interest in obtaining a degree in one of the following fields: natural resources, wildlife biology, environmental education/interpretation, biology, ecology, environmental studies, or education.
- Must be 18 years of age on or before the employment start date. Students considering or studying in the fields of conservation or parks and recreation are encouraged to apply.
- You MUST be interested in working with youth.
- Applicant must be able to effectively apply knowledge and common sense to solve problems and/or achieve work objectives and the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- The intern will routinely sit, stand, walk, kneel, stoop, balance, and climb and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions. You will also be exposed to dust, fumes, and loud noises.
- Applicant must possess a valid Iowa driver’s license and maintain an acceptable driving record.
- A background check is required.
- Cedar County may require a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Department: Conservation
- Posted: 1/6/22
- Expires: Posted until filled.
Return to: Submit a county application and resume to Cedar County Conservation, 400 Cedar Street, Tipton, Iowa 52772.